Do you want your copy or blog post to perform well? Everyone wants that, and the secret to good performing copy or bl———–mog posts lies in the headline!
A good headline can magically transform the conversion rate of a copy or can even increase the number of visitors to a blog post.
Copyblogger says that 80% of people read the headline but only 20% of the people go on to finish the article.
A weak headline makes people feel that the content is not important, and they end up skipping it. Thus the headline decides if the reader is going to read your content further or not.
In this article, we will share the stunning recipe for writing amazing headlines. So let us start with the things:
Numerals or Stats Works like Magic
Research has proven that headlines with data or numbers perform better. It’s not necessary that only list posts can have headlines with numbers.
Numbers can also include data or statistics. This showcases that the article is backed by research and ultimately leads to a higher click-through rate.
So the next time you’re writing a headline, try using some numerals or add some stats and see the results.
Questions are Powerful
Why do people add questions in their headlines? Because it generates curiosity. It makes people feel the need to answer the question which leads them to perform the next step which is, answering the question.
Just the presence of a question makes them feel incomplete, and they ultimately end up clicking on the headline to read more.
Questions in the headlines are also a powerful tool for SEO. The natural language of a complete question helps google to understand it better.
These days people are also using voice searches to search for content and for which they are using complete sentences to search. In that case, asking full-sentence questions helps google to connect the audience with your content better.
Write Longer Headlines
Research by Steve Rayson shows that longer headlines perform better than the shorter ones. Headlines around 15 words have performed the best.
Longer headlines make people understand better what exactly they are going to get from this piece of content, and thus it increases the click-through rate.
Impactful Words Make the Difference
Statistics show that the attention span of people is constantly decreasing, which also shows that the headline should quickly grab the attention of people.
But how to grab people’s attention? By following the checklist:
- Write unique headlines: Headlines should be unique so that people can differentiate you from the crowd. To check for uniqueness, add your headline in double-quotes and search on google. If you get a result make it more unique if you don’t get one then you have found your unique headline!
- Be specific: Writing ultra-specific headlines makes the reader understand what they should expect from the article, which can help in building long-term readers. Being unique and specific in the same headline is extremely difficult, but is still achievable.
- Convey a sense of urgency: If the headlines don’t convey the sense of urgency then even if it interests the reader they will not read it and will bookmark it which they never check again. Scarcity and urgency are very commonly used by e-commerce brands.
- The headline should be useful: The purpose of the headline is to show the readers that their problem can still be solved and if they get the hope after reading your headline only then they are going to read further.
- Don’t skip the content part: Your headline is important and so does your content. Use the headlines as a gateway to some high quality & engaging articles. You can probably outsource the work to some professional article writers having experience of delivering quality content in your niche.
Use Headline Analyzer Tools
Headline analyzer tools are super useful as they can help you see the stats of your headlines and will help you optimize them.
These tools have a database of headlines that have performed well and through that database, they give you a numerical score to understand where exactly you lie.
Some of the most popular headline analyzer tools are:
- Share through Headline Analyzer: This tool offers a nice interface for the tool and gives various results and quality scores to numerically check where your headline stands.
- CoSchedule Headline Analyzer: This tool requires you to enter the headline you want to check and then it analyzes it using a database of other headlines that have converted well in the past.
- The Blog about analyzer: This website gives you multiple headline types that are known to convert and you can click the redo button till you find the one you like the most. All the headlines contain blank spaces to fill the keywords you want to use.
The Final Tip
How many times have you got the perfect result on the first try? Not every time, right? The same thing happens with writing headlines as well.
You won’t write the absolute perfect headline on your first try. The best way is to write lots of headlines for the same piece of content and then choose the one you like the most and which fulfills the metrics you are analyzing it on.
Perfection takes time and some things never get perfect. So keep practicing.
Let’s put this into action
Have you got the advice you were looking for? Okay, let’s do a quick recap of what we learned in this article.
- The number of stats performs better than plain headlines
- Ask more questions in your headlines
- Longer headlines around 15 words perform the best
- Use impactful words at the start of the sentence
- Using headline analyzer tools can be useful
We are entering 2021 and the content will reach new heights. Do you want to see your content getting extraordinary traction? A powerful headline can strongly do that!
And now that you have the knowledge of how to write powerful headlines all you need is to write amazing copies.
Here are some tips to help you write amazing blog posts in 2020.
So what’s stopping you? Start the amazing work!